Gabby Petito and Narcissistic Abuse
My thoughts on the Gabby Petito case, why it's captured the attention of the public, what it tells us about domestic and narcissistic abuse, how reactive abuse shows up, and what we can learn from it to help heal wounds in society.
TRIGGER WARNING: Discussing the abuse and death of Gabby Petito, its impact on the public, issues involving sexism and racism, and narcissistic and domestic abuse.
If you are, or have been, affected by these issues here are some resources:
- Helplines for domestic abuse
- Therapy (confidential, can do it on an app on your phone)
- I've personally found the Rootd app helpful for cPTSD/trauma related panic attacks. It's free.
- If you've been through a difficult time or a breakup, or are going through recovery from a bad habit or dependency, and you are ready for a fresh start, this free book may help: You Deserve A Fresh Start
- If you've found yourself isolated through the pandemic, or have become isolated through a breakup, and are struggling with working from home, this free book is useful: Work From Home Without Feeling Alone
- If you are interested in learning more about healthy masculinity and femininity, you might find my course Mystery & Mastery useful. It takes a spiritual approach, so may not be a fit if you're not on a spiritual path. And it speaks specifically about masculine and feminine energy, which may not work for you if you're non-binary. But if you can bring an open mind to it, it's pretty powerful.
- If you've struggled with feeling that you may be a bit narcissistic (if it's problematic, use the therapy link above) this is the podcast I mentioned where I talk about that. Being a bit extra is a world away from being a danger to society, but it's wise to bring those traits in check young so that you can use your powers for good, not evil. Let's work on making sure nobody, including you, gets hurt. If All Narcissists Are Monsters, How Come All Superheroes Are Narcissists? That links to the podcast on my site. You can also just search for that in whichever podcast provider you use.